Cummings Library gets lots of complaints about noise – with the end of the semester and exams fast approaching, we’d like to help make our space more conducive to research and study. So, we’re asking for less noise and more quiet and we’re asking because the noise really bothers a lot of your classmates and fellow students.
We tried to make Cummings Library at Fennell bright and welcoming, a real destination space. It is clear that we succeeded – our new space is so lively that lots of students like to do all kinds of things here. However, that liveliness isn’t for everyone, especially at this time of year. So we’re asking everyone who uses the library to act respectfully towards their friends and classmates who need less noise in order to study and get their work done.
You do have some choices at Cummings and throughout the Fennell Campus:
- For individual, absolutely SILENT study, please use our Silent Study Room located at the back of the library.
- Starting the week of December 3rd, our Study Hall will be dedicated to Silent Study for the rest of the semester.
- On the main floor of the library, it is okay to work quietly together – quiet voices, dedicated to school work.
- We know that food and studying go together, that’s why we allow food in the library! But, if you and your friends just need a place to eat your take-out Chinese food or pizza, please use the cafeteria.
- If you’re meeting friends to chill and hang out between classes, there are lots of spaces throughout the college. There’s also the cafeteria – lots of space there & they have games too!!
Thanks for your understanding, let’s make the library work for everyone!